Saturday, August 2, 2008

XML Sitemaps => More Traffic?

WordPress has introduced, XML sitemaps for all it’s blogs as an initiative to increase the number of visitors to wordpress blogs, via search engines. It is indeed difficult for search engines to search thousands of pages, but with a map about the various links in the website, the pages and posts can be properly indexed and crawled, so that quality posts are more easily identified and they come up when searched for. That’s a good initiative and thank you wordpress team, for taking up the effort to automate the necessary steps in this concern.

Read what they have to say, here if you haven’t read about it yet.

That’s when something struck me. For the past few days, I have noticed that my visitor counts went on a low, a drop from about 120 to 50.

I don’t remember to have made any major changes that could have resulted in this drop. But now I get to co-relate events.

Investigating Possibilities
1. The sitemaps are indeed doing a great job, but for my blog it’s the other way round i suppose. When many other posts from other wordpress blogs became prominent or of more importance on the search pages, my posts lost position and were pushed down.
2. It could also be thought that the XML sitemaps has not been submitted to the search engines for all the wordpress blogs, as of now. The search engines are being informed in batches. So my blog’s sitemap has not yet been submitted to search engines and hence it’s posts are not making up to the front page of search engines, as it used to.

I shall wait for a few more days, and if I find a rise in the blog stats, then I can confirm #2, else #1. Do you think there could be any other possibilities? Do comment if you think something else could also have happened.

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online